Learning opportunities and resources for job growth & career development are a top priority at Providence
August 29, 2022
Career development is a critical component of our caregiver experience. According to a recent survey of more than 2,100 frontline employees by McKinsey, beyond attractive compensation, other key priorities for workers include: opportunity for job growth or promotion, learning opportunities and supportive managers. And among frontline employees, 73 percent cited a manager who supports their career progression as key to career advancement.” At Providence and our family of organizations, we put career development for our caregivers front and center.
Opportunities for every caregiver to learn and grow
We’re committed to every caregiver’s continued engagement, growth and development, no matter the role. According to Providence Vice President of Talent Experience and Development Darci Hall, “We recognize that caregivers are more engaged if they have development opportunities, so we are working hard to continue building out robust libraries, create opportunities for stretch assignments and up-skill our current caregivers.”
Some of the opportunities Providence offers include:
- Tuition reimbursement: A variety of online and in-person opportunities for caregivers and their dependents to receive an education conveniently and affordably through our partnership with the University of Providence (UP). Caregivers who use their benefit at UP can participate in immediate tuition reimbursement, providing funds earlier to pay for schooling at the beginning of the term. View all programs.
- Discounted tuition: For further flexibility and those looking for education opportunities outside of UP, we also offer an online tuition/education process and aligned policy for benefits-eligible caregivers with a network of more than 220 schools offering discounted tuition rates.
- Paid training and apprenticeships: Benefits-eligible Providence caregivers considering going to school for certified nursing assistant (CNA) or medical assistant (MA) training and certification have an opportunity to do so without paying money up front for the program. Instead of waiting until the completion of the course or passing of the certification exam, caregivers can be immediately reimbursed which can help cover books, school/classes, and testing fees with no out-of-pocket expenses, resulting in no cost to caregivers. Many of our clinic locations also offer bi-annual paid MA apprentice programs that anyone can apply to. View current open MA apprentice jobs.
- The Clinical Academy: This evidence-based program supports nurse residents (new nurses with less than one year of experience) and fellows (nurses who are changing their specialty) in their transition to practice at Providence through a year-long standard program. The Providence Clinical Academy Transition into Practice program is accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) through the Practice Transition Accreditation Program (PTAP).
- Educational counseling: Individual educational counseling with education and finance experts to help caregivers make the right decisions to achieve their educational goals
- Learning platform: Caregivers have access to Rise, an online learning platform that connects them with resources to help them discover, learn and progress their skills.
- Virtual Career Coach: One of the many resources on Rise, this allows caregivers to assess their skills and interests, explore career options and develop a path toward achieving their ideal job.
Empowering our workforce to achieve their goals
Hall says learning and development is so critical right now because it contributes to a healthier workforce and helps fill hiring gaps. “This is our opportunity to train and develop our caregivers from within for critical roles we have.”
In the future, Hall says we’ll see a continued demand for high-quality, just-in-time learning, personalized and more adaptive learning, as well as tools like VR/AR to complement the learning and development experience. Says Hall, “Providence is currently developing some exciting new immersive experiences that will enable current and future caregivers to achieve their career goals.”
Caregivers are the heart of our family of organizations and supporting them with career training, advancement opportunities and ways to learn is one of the ways we care for them. If you’d like to grow in your career with us, check out our open roles.