A recent commentary article in U.S. News & World Report calls on our national health system to do better by our frontline caregivers as they struggle with mental health issues in the midst of COVID-19. Mental health is critical in enabling our caregivers to deliver world-class care. That’s why we prioritize it at Providence through programs such as Lyra, a mental health counseling resource, as part of our Caregiver Assistance Program.
The need for mental health care
A report from the UK’s University of York’s Centre for Reviews and Dissemination and the Mental Health Foundation reports high levels of anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and burn-out among frontline healthcare workers and staff (Medical News Today) as a result of the pandemic.
Mood disorders like major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) are on the rise and according to the Anxiety & Depression Society of America, anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in our country, affecting just over 18 percent of the population.
Barriers to mental health care for healthcare workers
It’s often expensive or time consuming to find mental health services, but the reasons healthcare workers sometimes don’t seek help can go beyond that. As the U.S. News & World Report article points out, some healthcare workers fear ramifications of disclosure of past or current mental health issues. We don’t want to that to be the case for our caregivers.
About the Lyra Caregiver Assistance Program benefit
Lyra offers a streamlined approach to care with expert non-Providence providers and proven treatments. It has a nationwide network of specialists for children, adults and couples, giving caregivers access to therapists, coaches and physicians—available in-person, via live video or onsite. These care providers are expertly matched to caregivers’ individual needs, resulting in measurable, life-changing outcomes.
Providence caregivers and eligible family members receive:
- Up to 25 counseling or coaching sessions per eligible member per year
- Easy online sign-up and scheduling options to meet in-person or via live video
- Therapist-matching with care providers who work with your schedule
- Realtime availability for many providers
- Video coaching
- Self-care apps
Other ways we care for our caregivers
Our caregivers deliver world-class care, so they should receive world-class care, too. Our Lyra Caregiver Assistance benefit is one way we care for them. Other caregiver wellbeing programs include:
- Choose Well, our wellbeing program that supports daily engagement, social connections and wellbeing resources
- Back-up Child and Elder Care, to help with planned and unplanned care disruptions for your children, adult family members or elders
- Nicotine-free, a nicotine cessation support program
- Weight management, digital programs to manage weight and risk of developing diabetes and heart disease
- Tuition reimbursement, financial assistance to help develop your skills and achieve your career goals
Are you interested in working somewhere that cares about your mental health? Check out our job openings.